French onion dip – the kind made by mixing a packet of dried soup mix with some sour cream or yogurt – was my absolute favorite indulgence way back before I embraced a real food, paleo-inspired way of eating. This onion bacon rosemary dip captures the essence of that old favorite and also kicks it up a couple notches.
I’ve made this dip with both with my dairy free coconut yogurt as a base and with 24-hour homemade yogurt made from whole milk. Both versions are absolutely delicious! If you tolerate traditional sour cream, you could try that as well. The addition of a 1/2 cup of good homemade paleo mayonnaise adds a nice tangy taste as well, but feel free to omit if you are unable to eat eggs or just don’t have any on hand.
Notes for Healing Diets:
- Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (AIP): If you make the dip with coconut yogurt, it is completely AIP compliant. Do not include the optional mayo.
- Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD): This dip is SCD legal if made with either coconut yogurt or 24-hour yogurt.
- Low-FODMAP: Onions and garlic are high FODMAP foods and are key ingredients in this recipe, so unless you already know you tolerate well cooked onions, then this is probably not a good recipe for people following a low-FODMAP dietary approach.
Onion Dip Recipe:Print
Other great dip recipes from some of my “real food” blogger friends:
- Ranch Flavored Dip – 100 Days of Real Food
- Organic Veggie Dip – Whole Lifestyle Nutrition
- Creamy Stinging Nettles Dip with Roasted Garlic & Mint – And Here We Are
- Jalapeno Crab Dip – Stupid Easy Paleo
- Homemade French Onion Dip – Primally Inspired