If you prefer a fancy Italian name, you can call this “zuppa di salsiccia,” which simply means sausage soup. It was born on a cold January night when when I was craving something nourishing and hearty like the white bean and sausage soup I used to make, before I realized that legumes and my digestive system were not friends, and didn’t want to spend a lot of time making it.
I wasn’t even planning on writing up the recipe to share with you, except that the result was so delicious I realized I needed to record it because I definitely plan to make it again, though next time I plan to use white sweet potatoes instead of the vibrant orange you see in the picture, so that it is even more reminiscent of the bean and sausage soup that inspired it.
There are two keys to the simplicity of this soup…
- Having delicious bone broth ready to go. I usually make my own bone broth, but if you would prefer to buy some already made, that is fine too. See this post for my reviews of the most commonly available in the United States.
- Using an Instant Pot, or similar multi-cooker with both saute and pressure cook functions.
Looking for more recipes like this for your Instant Pot?
I highly recommend The Paleo AIP Instant Pot Cookbook, edited by Eileen Laird.
What about my healing diet?
Even though I have personally reintroduced many foods that are not included on the elimination phase of the Paleo autoimmune protocol (AIP), I keep creating recipes that are compliant with it because I recommend it to many of my nutrition clients. Therefore, this recipe is 100% AIP as it is written. Unfortunately, this recipe doesn’t work so well for my clients and readers who are on the specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) or the low-FODMAP diet. If you are on SCD, you could simply leave out the sweet potatoes or maybe try chunks of butternut squash in their place. Folks who need to minimize their FODMAP intake would need to leave out the onion, garlic, and sweet potatoes – which doesn’t leave much still in the soup!
Instant Pot Italian Pork & Kale Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into bite size cubes (about 2-3 cups total)
- 4 cups bone broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups roughly chopped kale
- optional 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves for garnish
- Press "sauté" button on Instant Pot. When hot, add ground pork and cook for about 5 minutes, until browned, stirring frequently.
- Add onion and cook for another 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and herbs, stir and cook just until fragrant.
- Add sweet potatoes, broth, and vinegar.
- Lock lid into place and set Instant Pot to cook under high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, quickly release pressure. Open lid and add kale.
- Switch cooking mode back to "sauté" and cook uncovered until kale is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Portion into serving bowls and garnish with fresh thyme, if desired.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.