Paleo banana coconut cream pie. YES! I have created a dairy free, gluten free, grain free, nut free, and naturally sweetened version that is both comforting enough to satisfy your nostalgic sweet tooth and elegant enough to serve at a fancy dinner party. In fact, it is ideal for that fancy dinner party because you can do all the preparation ahead of time and then just assemble and quickly serve when you are ready for dessert.
We’ve been eating a lot of banana desserts in my house lately because Mr. Gutsy and I just cannot seem to get on the same page as to how many bananas I need to buy and how many we (mostly him) will consume in between grocery store trips and when the banana goes from just ripe to overripe! I’ve been making a lot of my famous paleo banana bread as well as the indulgent brown butter banana chocolate chip muffins I posted earlier this month, but I wanted to create something for my friends who don’t eat eggs or starchy flours.
These banana coconut cream pies are the result and they work with a lot of different healing diets…
- This recipe is 100% compliant with the paleo autoimmune protocol (AIP), though it is a dessert and you want to make sure you don’t over-indulge.
- If you are following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), just make sure you use very ripe bananas.
- To make this recipe more low-FODMAP friendly, opt for greener bananas and use maple syrup instead of honey. But be careful, because the fructose content of this dish is going to be high no matter what you do.
- Make sure to use a coconut milk that does not have any added ingredients. I like the Arroy-D brand, which you can find in a lot of Asian groceries and also on Amazon..
- Use gelatin, not collagen, to insure the right consistency. I like the red/orange can version of Great Lakes Gelatin.
Paleo Banana Coconut Cream Pie RecipePrint
Paleo Banana Coconut Cream Pies (AIP, SCD, GAPS)
- Total Time: 3 hours 30 mins
- Yield: 8-10 1x
This paleo banana coconut cream pie is both comforting and elegant and compatible with most healing diets.
- 3–4 ripe bananas
- 2 cans (13.5 ounces each) full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ cup honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 6 medjool dates, pits removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place two of the bananas (unpeeled) on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until skin is completely black.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then peel set aside.
- Dissolve gelatin with ¼ cup hot water.
- Heat coconut milk over medium low until warm, then whisk in dissolved gelatin, a pinch of salt, vanilla, and honey. Add roasted bananas.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer to an upright blender, and puree until smooth.
- Put mixture in a bowl or other container, cover, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until pudding like in consistency.
- When ready to assemble the individual pies, remove pudding from refrigerator and use a large spoon to thoroughly mix (it may have formed a watery gelatin layer at the bottom but stirring will bring it back together).
- In a food processor, pulse the dates and coconut shreds until they resemble crumbs.
- Divide the date and coconut mixture among 8-10 individual ramekins, pressing it into the bottom to serve as a “crust.”
- Slice the remaining banana(s) and put two or three slices on top of the “crust” in each ramekin, then divide the pudding mixture evenly among them over top.
- Garnish each ramekin with two or three slices of banana and a sprinkle of coconut.
- Prep Time: 3 hours 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dessert
Click to Pin It!
2 replies on “Paleo Banana Coconut Cream Pies (AIP, SCD, GAPS)”
[…] Originally Here https://gutsybynature.com/2016/08/27/paleo-banana-coconut-cream-pies-aip-scd-gaps/ […]
Yum, yum, yum. Have to take dessert to a backyard get together. Gonna make this!