This autoimmune paleo breakfast sausage recipe is my answer to the big question – “But what can I have for breakfast?!” – that inevitably comes up when people start an AIP protocol and are wondering what’s left after grains and eggs are off the menu and they discover that most pre-made sausages contain either nightshade seasonings or seed-based spices, or both. While I was on a strict AIP elimination diet that was also low-FODMAP, I started tinkering around with ground pork and various seasonings, eventually coming up with this surprisingly tasty combination of herbs and safe spices. Cinnamon and ginger might sound strange, but they add just a bit of heat and depth of flavor.
Then as I started slowly expanding my diet, I was able to use this sausage as the avenue for that. When I was ready to test some high-FODMAP foods in small quantities, I mixed in a bit of granulated garlic. When I trialed seeds, I mixed in some fennel seeds. And my first experiments with nightshades were adding in a little bit of paprika and later red pepper flakes. The recipe is very flexible and should be thought of as a template. The patties are great on their own, or as shown in the photographs here, make a satisfying breakfast when eaten with fried plantains.
**Note that if you are on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) or very sensitive to added sugars, you may choose to omit the maple syrup.**
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Using your hands, combine all ingredients. For best flavor, let sit in refrigerator overnight before cooking.
- Shape into patties and pan fry over medium heat until cooked through and slightly browned (about 3-5 minutes per side).
For more autoimmune paleo breakfast ideas
- Healing Strawberry Gelatin Strawberry Smoothie – Grassfed Girl
- Eggless Breakfast Hash – Mary Vance, NC
- Bacon Avocado Cups with Balsamic Glaze – Primally Inspired
- Potato-Free Breakfast Potatoes - Meatified
Also, be sure to check out Karen Sorenson’s awesome ebook Awaken: 30+ Egg Free and Grain Free Breakfasts!
Shared on Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable.PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.