This AIP-friendly creamy vegetable beef soup is a study in contradictions. It’s creamy without a drop of dairy, vegetable focused but not vegetable-forward, both light and hearty, and ready in about 30 minutes yet full of flavor you’d expect from a long simmered stew! It’s also very flexible… I actually toyed with the idea of calling it “clean out the fridge” soup because though I make it with broccoli, mushrooms, and green onions, you could subtract any of those or add in the odds and ends of practically any vegetable you have hanging out in the crisper drawer at the end of the week. And, like many of the recipes I’ve recently shared, it can serve as a canvas for reintroductions when you are ready to move on beyond the AIP elimination phase!
30 Minute Meals
One of the great “selling points” of this vegetable beef soup is that it is a complete meal and that it can be prepared in approximately 30 minutes (give or take a little, depending on how fast you work with a vegetable peeler!). Though I love cooking and have the luxury of planning and preparing more elaborate meals on the weekends, on regular days I prefer simple and (relatively) fast dishes that include the protein and vegetables all-in-one. Some of the other recipes you’ll find on my blog that also fit that bill include…
- Herbed Meatballs with Sautéed Swiss Chard and Raisins
- King Trumpet Oyster Mushrooms with Chicken and Kale
- Pork Chop and Vegetable Sheet Pan Dinner
- Shrimp and Asparagus Stir Fry
If this style of meal appeals to you, I encourage you to check out the ebook I put together with some of my best blogging friends, featuring 120 complete meals that you can make in 30 minutes or less… and every single one of them is AIP elimination phase compliant!
AIP Reintroduction Ideas
This vegetable beef soup recipe as written is compliant with the elimination phase or the autoimmune protocol (AIP), but you can easily adapt if you are ready to expand your horizons. Here are just a few ideas…
- Add 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (stage 1) in step 2.
- Use peas (stage 1) instead of broccoli (stage 1).
- Drizzle with walnut oil (stage 1) and/or sprinkle with chopped walnuts (stage 2) before serving.
- Add diced red bell pepper (stage 3) along with the broccoli in step 4.
- Add diced tomatoes (stage 4) along with the broccoli in step 4.
Do you need a refresher on the reintroduction stages and the best way to test these foods? Check out this blog post by my friend and mentor Angie Alt – Reintroductions on AIP: The Definitive Guide.
Creamy Vegetable and Beef Soup Recipe
- 1-2 large (about 1 pound total) white sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 quart bone broth
- 1 broccoli head, cut into florets
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions or scallions, chopped
- Place broth and sweet potato chunks into large saucepan. Over high heat, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and cook ground beef until almost browned through, then add salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and mushrooms. Cook another 4-5 minutes, until meat is completely browned and mushrooms have released their juices. Set aside.
- Purée the sweet potato and broth base, either using an immersion blender in the pan, or transferring contents to a high powered canister blender.
- Return sweet potato and broth purée to simmer, add chopped broccoli and cook until broccoli has turned a vibrant green and is soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add ground beef and mushroom mixture to purée and stir to combine and heat through.
- Sprinkle with green onion pieces before serving.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Want to be the first to hear about new AIP-friendly, gluten-free, Paleo recipes? Please sign up for my weekly email newsletter to stay in the loop!
Looking for more soup recipes? Try these from my archives…
- Asparagus and Garlic Scape Soup
- Carrot, Fennel, and Orange Soup
- Broccoli & Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Turnip and Parsnip Soup
Looking for a one-stop shop your entire AIP journey, including reintroductions? I recommend ShopAIP!
Click to Pin It!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.